Wavy Hairstyles with Finger Waves
How to get wavy hairstyles with finger waves. Get easy to do methods by finger waving or get vintage hairstyles.
Finger waving was a very popular styling technique in the 1920's and 1930's.
This particular hairstyle involves shaping hair into "S" shaped curves using the fingers, a comb and setting lotion or wave lotion. This technique can be used on all hair types.
Here are some tips to help you recreate this vintage look:
- Wash your hair with shampoo and place a towel around your hair
- Part the hair a bit on the side and comb it down. Apply the waving lotion on your hair while it is still damp distributing it evenly throughout the hair. Apply the lotion one side at a time to prevent it from drying.
- Decide where you want the first ridge to be and place your index finger above that position. With the comb pointing a bit up slide it under the finger and draw the comb around the fingertip for about one inch. Do not take the comb out of your hair but lay it flat against the head to hold the ridge. Place the middle finger above the ridge you create it and the index finger on the tip of the comb's teeth. Pressing your fingers gently on the head close them together to emphasize the ridge.
- Keeping the comb pressed against the head turn it so the teeth can face down. Comb the hair in a semi circular motion to create the �s� shape while holding the two fingers on the ridge to keep it in place.
- Keep doing the same thing until you reach the crown. Make sure the ridges and the waves formed match.
- When you are done start forming the second ridge but this time doing the opposite from the first ridge. Start at the crown and comb the hair downwards from the tip of the index finger towards the base of the index finger. Do all steps from the first ridge in reverse to complete the second one.
- For the third ridge you will follow the steps from the first ridge but start it from the hairline working your way towards the back of the head.
- For the other side of the hair apply waving lotion and follow the same steps as you did with the first side.
- Allow the hair to dry and comb the hair back from the face gently. This will make the waves look soft.
Tags: finger waving, finger waves, vintage hairstyles, wavy hairstyles